This recipe is featured on the Bowls (click), Salads (click) and Whole Grains (click) Feeds on the feedfeed website.
The sun is shining and your friends and family are gathering. Listen, whether you are going to a Memorial Day Picnic or Pool Party, you need to bring something spectacular. Tell the hostess you’ll bring a salad and let her think you mean iceberg lettuce and cucumbers. Everyone will be stunned when you approach bearing this Cherry and Walnut Quinoa Salad. This raw Quinoa Salad can endure the summer heat without the stress that mayonnaise-y macaroni salad brings. Dressed with a whole-grain Honey Dijon Vinaigrette, it won’t get soggy like green leaf lettuce salad. It’s vibrant and fresh flavors will make everyone crave for more. So move over lumpy potato salad, there’s a new and healthy salad in town.
“Fresh cherries, just washed.
Beads of ruby strewn across,
white bowl’s shiny gloss.
Dainty stems crisscrossed.”
- Bring quinoa, water and salt to boil in a medium saucepan. Turn down heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 10-12 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Whisk together all Honey Dijon Vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Salt to taste.
- Mix celery, cherries, walnuts, quinoa and parsley in a bowl. Toss with Vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately or let chill in the refrigerator.
Wow. The sweet and tart succulent cherries offer a balance against the tangy Dijon mustard. Toasting the walnuts draws out a savory nuttiness, while fresh crisp celery offers a divine crunch. Pair this fresh and healthy salad with flaky fish to seal the deal. That’s what we did (see below).
* Recipe inspired by Cooking Light June 2014 *