SUMMER!!! It’s summertime, friends, and with that, smore’s are a MUST on the menu. Don’t get me wrong, I love a charred mallow and melty chocolate smashed between two graham cracker squares. But, hear me out, why not amp it up and make homemade brownies (aka “the chocolate”) with a graham cracker crust and the stickiest toasted marshmallow on top?
At our house, we celebrate summer by throwing pool parties. The 4th of July was no different. Dogs and burgs on the grill. Ice cold beers floating in inflatable toucan koozies in the pool. Sparklers burning our hands and the sun giving us the burn of the century.
It was one of those sweltering summer days where you need something super sweet, super simple, messy is absolutely fine and it must be a crowd pleaser. Listen, I bought popsicles for the kids, but even they couldn’t get their hands off of these BROWNIES. The fact that the brownies were all gone after a couple hours was a sign from heaven that this was a recipe worth sharing.
Listen, I, much like you, grew up in a home where mom made brownies. Yes, she may have added some walnuts, but that girl made them, with love, from a box. And I loved them that way.
But now, as an adult, I truly appreciate the fact that I have every single ingredient for HOMEMADE brownies in my pantry/fridge and they are 10x’s more fudgey and delicious. This recipe makes brownie baking easy and rewarding.
But as for the fluff, mom would NEVER allow this in the house. No fluff and no soda. Just homemade pizza and lemonade, poor me. So I went ahead and bought the biggest container for this recipe and slathered it all over my brownies. A little char with a kitchen torch or oven broiler and there you have that toasted mallow flavor you always craved.
- 12 graham cracker sheets (or more to fill the bottom of the pan)
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 15-30 oz marshmallow fluff (go crazy)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, the spray will help it adhere to the pan. Then grease the parchment paper bottom/side with butter or spray. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Remove from microwave and stir in chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 20-30 seconds more. Check. Continue in 15 second bursts until chocolate is melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Slowly whisk in the melted chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick immersed in the center comes out clean.
- Before serving, spread the fluff on top. Place on the top of the oven rack on broil or toast with a kitchen torch.
- Allow to cool completely before lifting the brownies out of the pan by pulling up on the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe inspired by Broma Bakery.