When spring comes to town and the weather gets warmer, we are due for a refreshing tincture. Start the weekend off the a Mango-Turmeric Agua Fresca. This creamy sip combines the tropical and warm flavors of mango and turmeric in a truly simple recipe. There is no alcohol and honestly, you won’t miss it!
The sun was shining bright as I sat in front of my favorite window with a cup of coffee in my hand. I also had the latest food magazine in my other, as I do every weekend morning. Food and Wine was featuring this beautiful spread that was turmeric themed. This recipe popped out to me, not only for its brightness.
I made a few tweaks to the recipe, but kept true to the flavor profile. It ended up being super creamy, but not in a thick gloppy way. I’m really excited to share it with you!
I live in the south, so hot days are truly HOT. A cool drink certainly does trick when I’m out by the pool. But I don’t always want booze, so this recipe is a perfect blend of flavor, wow factor and refreshing-ness.
- 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 3/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice, save slices for serving
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Crushed ice
- Mint sprigs
- Heat 3/4 cup water in microwave safe bowl on high until hot. Stir in sugar until melted. You can do this over the stove in a pot as well.
- Combine mangoes, 1 cup water, sugar water, lime juice, and turmeric in a blender; process until completely smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Place a fine strainer on top of a large empty mixing bowl. Pour mango mixture into strainer and use a spatula to press down and strain the mixture. Discard the solids from the strainer.
- Transfer smooth mango mixture to a pitcher, and stir in remaining water. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. (I drank mine immediately and it was great).
- Fill 6 glasses with crushed ice and add mango mixture. Garnish each glass with a mint sprig.