Soak in the sunshine while sipping on this refreshingly flavorful Minty Lime-Ginger Watermelon Agua Fresca. Spanish for “cool waters”, fresh water, infused with sugar, lime, ginger and mint, is blended into puréed watermelon. A splash of lime seltzer water finishes off this invigorating sip, leaving a sparkling tickle in your mouth. Fresh and healthy, serve this poolside to your kids or on the grass at your next picnic.
The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the neighbors are splashing in their pool. Spring has hit us hard (finally). At 10 am this morning my husband and I donned our tennis gear and played a sweaty match. After winning several games, I teased my husband, “Man, those late night Coronas must have messed with your game”. It was true. We had been sipping and chatting on our friend’s porch ’til late last night. Thus, this morning we both felt sluggish while playing tennis. After a few hours, we were both sweaty and thirsty. A cold beer was not on the agenda, so I decided to make a healthy and fresh drink. I found two different Watermelon drink recipes on Cooking Light, which is my absolute favorite website. So I, of course, fused the two and modified them, making them my own. What else is new?
On my way to the store to buy the ingredients, I stopped at the Thrift Shop. Searching high and low, I finally stumbled on a few adorable props. I just could not resist these charming drink glasses and chemistry beaker-like pitcher.
- Combine water, sugar and ginger in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 30 seconds or until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in mint and lime rind. Let stand 15 minutes. Strain mixture over a bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
- Working in batches, place cubed watermelon and fresh lime juice in a blender; process until smooth. Pour into a pitcher.
- Stir in sugar syrup and chilled lime seltzer water.
- Serve over ice; garnish with mint.
Savor this fresh chilled Minted Watermelon Agua Fresca on a scorching spring or summer day.