This is the most moist, easy and banana forward Banana Bread ever. I have been making this recipe since 2015 and riff it with whatever is in my pantry. It can be whipped up in one bowl and is a sure fire family pleaser every single time.
I originally made this banana bread when I was new to food blogging. It was quickly recognized by my family and fellow foodies (it’s featured on Feedfeed) as an incredible recipe. It can be stacked between layers of frosting like a cake, served in a loaf pan or spread into a sheet pan.
The first time I made this, I served it with Browned Butter Mascarpone Frosting (click for the recipe) and stacked it like a mini layered cake. Today, I decided to smooth out the batter into a sheet pan and lay fresh bananas along the top. With this method there is a whopping 9-10 bananas, which makes it incredibly moist and flavorful.
Baking with bananas is the best. The overly ripe ones are super sweet. I recommend freezing any overly ripe bananas that you have (never throw them away). When you are ready for this recipe, microwave them for 30 seconds to soften.
If you cook it in two 9-inch round cake pans, it will take exactly 1 hour. Because the layers are thinner in a sheet pan, it took 50 minutes today. I suggest checking for doneness at the 50 minute mark by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry, you are good to go! If it’s wet, let it cook for 10 more minutes.
I like to serve this cake/bread piping hot so the frosting melts like butter. If you are going to serve it like a layered cake, let it cool completely before frosting so it keeps its structure.
This is a pantry recipe, meaning that you can add anything you would like to it. Add chocolate chips, walnuts, cardamon. Use cream, milk, coconut milk or yogurt instead of buttermilk. I have tried all the different riffs and the recipe is never compromised.
sheet pan banana bread with vanilla buttercream frosting
- Banana Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose bread flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar,packed
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 5-6 overripe bananas (if frozen, soften in microwave)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add Ins: cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans
- 4-5 fresh bananas, peeled and halved vertically and horizontally Butter Cream Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Beat all Banana Bread ingredients through to add-ins together in a stand mixer. If bananas are frozen, soften in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Smooth batter into the sheet pan and tap it on the counter to ensure even settling. Place fresh bananas cut-side up on top of the batter. Do not press in too far, so they do not sink.
- Bake between 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Check if bread is done with a toothpick. Insert into bread batter. It’s done when toothpick comes out clean.
- Set banana bread aside to cool.
- While bread bakes, make the frosting: Combine all frosting ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until smooth.(2-4 minutes).
- Cut banana bread into serving sized squares. Spread frosting on cooled banana bread and serve.
I love the creativity of your banana bread! Your food photography is beautiful!