With Valentine’s Day around the corner, I was inspired to concoct a vibrantly crimson dish adorned with hearts. Let’s be honest, nothing “beets” the bite of winter like a toasty bowl of soup. Hence, this Roasted Beet and Green Apple Soup was conceived and devoured.
* Update: On 2-16-15, this Soup won the “Color Matters Red Challenge” hosted by Kptncook. The recipe will be featured on their app. Download this incredible user friendly app for free or follow them on Instagram @kptncookapp. It offers three daily recipes with fresh ingredients. They have the grocery list and pricing done for you, all you have to do is follow the simple steps to create a healthy and hearty meal. Foodies and home cooks, this app is for you!*
4 Beets 2 Green Apples
1 Medium Potato 1 Medium Onion
2 Carrot Stalks 4 Tbsp. Butter
4 Thyme Sprigs 4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Milk 1/3 Cup Apple Cider
2 Tbsp. Flour 1 Tbsp. Honey
1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar Sour Cream for Topping
Salt and Pepper
Yields: 4-5 bowls
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees.
- Peel the beets and carrots (photo above).
- Thinly slice the carrots and beets.
- Toss with salt, pepper, olive oil and separated thyme.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until tender).
- Thinly slice the apples, onions and potato.
- Melt butter in soup pot on medium heat.
- Saute apples, onions and potato until onions are soft (about 8 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the beets and carrots are tender, add them to the pot of sliced veggies and fruit.
- Stir in the flour, coating the mixture.
- Add the cider and cook on high, continuously stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Add the broth and milk.
- Cover pot and bring to boil.
- Then remove cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add the honey and brown sugar.
- Let soup cook until potato is soft (about 10-15 minutes), stirring often.
- Puree soup until smooth with an immersion blender (photo above) or use a blender in batches.
- Season with salt and honey to achieve a balance of sweet but savory.
- Top your soup with sour cream. Do not be skimpy with this part guys…I added a spoonful after I took this photo!
- The sour cream softens the bold flavors.
This ravishing ruby soup “beets” the ordinary canned tomato soup in your cupboard. Not only is it bursting with flavor, but also with fresh produce and nutritional benefits.